A few years ago I sat where you sat. I was overweight, sluggish, and tired. My weight was constantly on my mind and my soul was heavy all the time with the struggle to lose it. It was a major distraction in my life. I was "once again" getting back on the "health wagon" with the hope that "this time" I would stick with the program. To be honest, I didn't have much hope....but then God entered the picture.
Today I want to give you some Scriptures to begin to internalize on your journey. Forget about the food and exercise for a moment. You can change the outside actions, but they will be temporary if the inside of your heart is not changed. So let's start with filling your arsenal with some "big guns" so you have more than your will power to stand on in the battle ahead.
Galatians 2:20 says "I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
- Taking care of your physical body can only be accomplished by faith in Jesus. He loves you more than you love yourself and through Him, you can care for yourself in the appropriate ways.
Philippians 4:13 says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."
- You CAN DO.....THROUGH CHRIST. Not through your will power. It is through Jesus and His power residing inside you that you can eat less and move more, establish a taste for healthy food, and begin to limit sweet treats and soda.
John 15:5 says "I am the vine and you are the branches. If you remain in me and I remain in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing."
- Apart from Jesus, you can accomplish nothing that lasts. This is truth. On our own we are weak. When we are abiding in Jesus, we become strong in His love, power and strength. When you are tempted, whisper a prayer, "Jesus, help me, I can do nothing outside of You."
Isaiah 41:10 says "Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
- You are not alone in this! God is with you....He will strengthen you and help you to not eat past your need. He will uphold you when your body screams for sugar and you deny it it's pleasure. You are not alone!
Proverbs 3:6 says "Acknowledge Him in all your ways and He will direct your paths."
- We must acknowledge Jesus in our eating and exercising habits. Ignoring Him in these areas have gotten us to where we are today. As we begin to acknowledge Him and what He wants for us and the power He provides us....we will change.
2 Peter 1:3 says "His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness."
- Everything you need to succeed is in Jesus. He has all the power and wisdom and it belongs to you. Take it and use it!
Psalms 63:5 says "My soul will be satisfied as with the richest of foods, with singing lips my mouth will praise you."
- So many of us look to food to satisfy our emotional needs and hurts. But Jesus says He can satisfy us so much more than food can! We must establish the habit of reaching out to Jesus before reaching out to ice cream or chips. He will satisfy our soul so much more than food will. Let your mouth sing His praises when you want to stuff it with food....watch your craving disappear as you focus on the true desire of your heart.