As I got older I came to the hard truth that if I wanted to "age" well and grow stronger and not weaker, I was going to have to do something. I couldn't live in denial any longer that "someday" I'd get it together and be lean and strong. That "someday" was now and I knew God was calling me to obey Him in taking care of the body He had blessed me with.
My favorite Scripture I lean on in this area of eating right and exercising is Proverbs 16:9 (MSG) "We plan the way we want to live, but only God makes us able to live it."
I can make all the plans I want, but if God doesn't help me, I will fail time after time. I can't tell you how many times I have started a "program" and within a few weeks I'm right back to my old habits and routine. But this verse came alive to me about a year and a half ago and I clung to it as I began to search for a "lifestyle" I could live with. Notice I didn't say "diet and exercise" program....I said "lifestyle." A diet always comes to an end....a lifestyle is the way you choose to eat and move your body for the rest of your life so that you feel healthy, lean and strong. It looks a little different for each person. It becomes a way of life. Your way of life.
This is a slow, steady process. It takes time to make lasting changes. It takes time to change habits that have been ingrained into your life for years. It takes time to begin to think differently about food and exercise. It takes time to come to a place where you actually like to exercise. Yes...I said "like" it. You will still have days where you "just do it," but it won't be the struggle it sometimes is at the beginning. Below are some encouraging suggestions as you begin to incorporate exercise into your life....
- Make small, reachable goals. Try to "move" three times during the week.
- Start slow. Don't push yourself to exhaustion the first time out. Give your body time to adjust to moving more if you have been sedentary.
- Find a buddy. Walking a mile goes by super fast when your mouth is working as hard as your legs!
- Do some strength training. Building muscle is SO IMPORTANT as we age. It also burns fat.
- JUST DO IT.....when you don't wanna, or feel tired, or something else comes up.