I have been taking a good, hard look at myself lately. Asking some internal questions and forcing myself to answer them honestly. Who am I at a heart level? Are my thoughts and opinions pleasing to the Lord? How do I make other people feel when I am with them? What is it like to live with me? Am I consistently representing Jesus well?
The answers I am coming up with are causing me to bow before Jesus. I have humbly been asking Him to make me into what He wants me to be as well as repenting for what I have been and what I have not been. Through this process, there are five things I feel God is asking me to allow Him to make me this year. If you will allow me, I'd like to share them with you.
- Humble...I read all thru the Word about the importance of humility. I want God to open my eyes to what humility really looks like. I want to be humble as the Word describes. Not false humility. Humility that pleases His heart and allows Him to use me in ways that are beyond my comprehension because He can trust me to give Him all the glory...every time. I want to be humble.
- Wise...the Word tells me to "get wisdom." All through Proverbs it talks about the wise. I want to know His voice. If I know His voice, I will hear His wisdom. My thoughts and opinions on subjects really don't matter. His do. I want to be wise.
- Broken...this is a difficult place to be, but I realize it is the best place to learn to be like Jesus. I want to live with a constant awareness of what I've been forgiven for. I am free only because of Jesus and what He did for me on the cross. I am a sinner, saved by grace. May I never step out of this reality and think any goodness comes from myself. I want to be broken.
- Kind...as I read the gospels, I realize Jesus was the most kind person who has ever walked the earth. He was not a doormat. He was not weak. He was not afraid to confront sin. At the same time, there was a kindness that emanated from Him. This kindness affected people, changing their life. I want to be kind. Kind like Jesus.
- Affectionate...I am not a naturally affectionate person. I don't tend to hug and touch people a lot. But here is the truth...physical touch can be very healing and comforting, especially when done out of direction from the Holy Spirit. I am done using my "natural tendencies" as an excuse not to be an affectionate person. Don't be afraid, I will not assault you with my affection this year, but I want to let some walls down and let love come through my life in this way. I want to be affectionate.
So there you go. This is who I want to be this year and the truth is, change will only happen if I cooperate. Letting Jesus incorporate these characteristics of His nature into my life will not be easy. My flesh will rebel. I know this. I know my flesh. All too well. Jesus and Jesus alone is my hope in defeating flesh. I pledge to cooperate.
How about you? Who do you want to be? Who does He want you to be? Join forces with Him, you and Jesus will make a powerful team!
Happy 2015!....may you and I be challenged to take our life, place it in His hands, and change the world around us.